Sep 26, 2023
Updates from the Commercial List Users' Committee
Here are some important updates from the Commercial List Users’ Committee:
- Current judges sitting on the Commercial List will continue through to 2024: Justice Cavanagh, Conway, Kimmel, Osborne, Penny, Steele and Wilton-Siegel.
- Current time outs are as follows:
- Chambers Appointment – 2 Weeks Out
Available Starting October 10, 2023
- Short Motion – 7 Weeks Out
Available Starting November 14, 2023
- Long Motion – 9 Weeks Out
Available Starting November 27, 2023
- Trial – Over 1 Year Out
Available Starting January 2025
- Urgent Trial (10 Days or Less) – 1 Year Out
Available Starting September 2024
- General practice tips from the Court:
- Counsel should consult the Updated Practice Directive (updated as of June 2023) and note that several Commercial List forms have also been updated.
- Counsel are encouraged to use Aide Memoirs for case conferences briefly stating the purpose of the appearance and whether the matter being addressed is on consent.
- The Court continues to receive materials with broken hyperlinks. Counsel should triple check that the links in their materials are functioning prior to their hearing.
- Counsel should note the distinction between scheduling appointments (15 min) and case conferences. Uncontested matters must be addressed at case conferences and not at scheduling appointments.